Ee Ni Mi Ni My Ni Mo

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

You can be anything you want to be, have anything you desire, accomplish anything you set out to accomplish -- if you will hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.

Robert Collier

As judgment day draws near, I'm sure many students are faced with the impending decision. The all important choice of one's career path. We will be made to choose between a practical career that will make us rich but unhappy and a fantasy career that will fulfill your heart but not your wallet.

We live in light-speed computation but in this fast-paced society, we still are plagued with mundane choices. Stiff, Rote, Boring, Repressive. Those are some criticisms of the Singapore education. Sad but true. The arts, music or any form of creativity are often nipped in the bud as soon as a child decides that it could develop into a professional career. The arts is deemed as 'useless' subjects which have limited financial prospects. Idealism is useless becoz it can't put food on the table and in life. The pragmatists always win. However, being stuck in a job that you hate is an awful hate. I'd like to say never to compromise on your dreams coz without passion, you will never succeed at whatever it is that you do. You've gotto ask yourself if your passion will sustain. Be honest now. However, does this pragmatic society really condone such thoughts? Not unless your parents are rich or you are motivated enough i guess? Motivation is of utmost importance in a job. It will inspire you to get up in the morning. Trust me, that's no easy task! I know money is a big motivation for me, thus find your motivation and try not to compare with others else you'd never be satisfied. Easier said than done i hear? True.

To some, making money isn't the only way to success, but it's certainly a useful barometer of whether one is successful in his/ her career and it's especially crucial with our unhealthy dependency ratio. I used to be really passionate in the Arts too. I think I have a natural affinity and flair but there was a lack of confidence and support. Well thank goodness I stuck to something I am familiar to. My dreams did not dissipate. It's just shelved. To me, the Arts can be pursued on the side. I'm now slowly returning to my earlier passions. I hesitated a whole lot before deciding to give up my 9-5 job. A very glam industry no less but I listened to my gut instinct. Great satisfaction comes from living the life you choose for yourself and seeing it pay off. Sure, my dreams have yet to be fulfilled. Each time when I get trapped in a votex of comparison, I have to lower my bar once more. I still have a strong desire to succeed in whatever I do. Been hoping someone could give me the 'right' answers rather than exploring and finding. But, i gathered, we all have to arrive at an answer indipendently. Bill Gates taught himself computer programming at an early age in high school. So I guess, nothing is impossible if you really want to make it work. Whatever you do, make sure you don't live a life of regret but be clear that whatever you choose, you'll have to make things happen and make things work. It's all within your control. You can make things happen if your willpower is strong enough!

I believe that we are solely responsible for our choices, we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word and thought throughout our lifetime

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross


PS: Above post inspired after meeting ex-student K...hope that after reading this you feel more surreal? :)

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS