Big K turns 4 (Part 1 & 2)

Friday, November 20, 2015

So. Not too long ago, I was pregnant. Not too long ago, a little girl, affectionately known as Big K was born. And, not too long ago, she turned four! yup, just like that!

This year is a little tricky coz I don't have my own nest to throw a party even if I want to. Staying with the in-laws is also a tricky affair when it comes to decorating the place to make the little one feel special (actually it's to satisfy my crazy yearn to craft). It's even trickier when the whole place is cluttered with boxes. I decided. It's depressing enough to be in such a situation! Hence, I took a wall an planned to do a small deco. I am very particular when it comes to aesthetics and even though it was an extremely small space which I'm doing up, I make sure I plan. I bought the materials in advance and reused my letterings. Got in some felt snowflakes as well to add in to the mood. And Tadah! A Photo Booth! These days whenever I ask the kids for a photo, they'll automatically stand against the wall. 

I didn't have to ask what Big K wanted as a theme for her birthday. I knew. Every year, the theme is dictated by yours truly. Tiger Mom eh? With all the hype over Elsa, it was clear she wanted a Frozen- themed party. She loves Elsa but thankfully not to the extent of wanting every single thing around her to be Elsa. Phew. I ordered her cakes pretty late this time but was very glad to have found two bakers who did a good job with the cakes. 


I bought her this dress a month before and had to hide it from her. She adores it so much, she insist on wearing it almost every time we go out!


Part One of our birthday marathon. The first cake we had for celebration with the family was an ombre cake from The Cake Shop. Now, I did say that the cake was good, no doubts about it. They had real strawberries in it and the old folks commented that it wasn't too sweet. Yay! I scored. But what made me extremely upset was that I had to go all the way to Admiralty to collect on the morning of the celebration! (PS: I live in the East just so you know) You see, after confirming the order, I was not asked what time I would like to collect. Ok, my fault too for not informing. I am usually quite on top of such things but lately, too much is happening. That said, shouldn't the onus be not the seller rather the buyer? I mean, it's service right to at least inform the collection hours no? I happily assumed that I could collect it from the Funan branch during opening hours. They open their doors at 10am and I thought, Perfect. Coz celebrations was at 11am. The day before, I dropped them an email to confirm my collection and informed them that I'll be collecting at 10am. Alas, at 4pm that day, an email stating that the earliest I could collect from Funan was 11am came in. You could imagine my horror! Plus, I only managed to read that mail at about 6pm. After which I immediately called them up for help. They had my number, so why didn't they call me direct? I told them my function would be starting at 11am and hence I will collect at 10am. Which part of my email did they not comprehend? The event was the next day so things were kind of urgent isn't it? So, long story short, nothing could be done. I had to go down to their production house  at Admiralty, which opens at 830am, to collect. I was late for the function as a result as after collecting the cake, I had to run other errands as well. 


Our party packs. I'm quite anal when it comes to how things look and what went in. I really do not like junk and tacky packaging. I started strategising a month before and slowly got on to making the bags. I got the characters printed and cut. The paper bags were bought from Daiso. The names were also painstakingly cut out from self adhesive felt gotten from Daiso. I enlisted Big K's help on pasting the the pictures and the foam snow flakes as well as the names of her classmates. Through this activity, Big K was able to learn the spelling of her friend's name. Killing two birds with one stone! 


This snowflake cookie was one of the items in our party pack which was in line with the theme. Others include an art and craft set to make a Xmas Tree ornament ball, a sewing kit with characters like reindeer and snowman as well as a kit which "grows" snow. Pardon the screenshot. Am too lazy to do something about it!


Part 2 of the celebrations was in school. Yup, I had to order ANOTHER cake. This time, I got it from Megan's Cuppies. This, is worth a mention. It was a pullout number cake! Something I've always wanted! In case you don't know, to do a number cake, most bakeries would need a substantial weightage. With the number of little guests we have, I often have a problem. So I was delighted when Eliz from Megan's Cuppies said she could do one with 18 cupcakes! Woohoo!! The snowflake cookies and the cupcakes were both from this talented baker. You can "like" her on Facebook here.

It's really a party to remember albeit a small one. Kids these days are so lucky! All I got when I was young was a pandan cake from Bengawan Solo!


DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS