Homeschooling @ 30 months

Thursday, May 8, 2014

How time flies,  Lil K is turning 30mths and for the past few months I've been pretty lax in the area of homeschooling. Been trying to amass heaps so I can entertain her when our new addition arrives.  Well,  hopefully I can at least for the first month of transition when I have a confinement lady to help around.  Not very sure what to anticipate,  but I certainly hope that the transition will be smooth.

Homemade soft playdough. Really easy to make though a tad messy because of the kneading. First time I'm kneading something! i don't even bake! M loving the tool kit I bought at Art Friend's moving out sale. 

Play Dough Recipe:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoon cream of tartar 
  • 1 tablespoon oil/ baby oil (it makes it smells better)
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • food coloring (i used the liquid sort but I heard gel colourings give better effect)

Mix first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Add hot water and mix well. Mix it until it starts to look fluffy and crumbly, then use your hands to work it together until it’s evenly combined. At this stage it can seem too dry, but keep going! Once it’s holding together, add food colouring, take it out of the bowl and knead it on a surface until it becomes soft, silky and pliable in your hands.. Play dough will keep for a long time stored in a covered plastic container or plastic sandwich bag.

Cutting, rolling and kneading. . Trains motor skills and kept her entertained for a good 20 minutes! 

At 30 months,  lil k seems to be able to read.  I mean I honestly don't know if she it's memorising the words or she genuinely knows how to read.  Don't really test her as that would be against right brain training principles. In any case, I'm just so glad she has a penchant for books and will request (bug) me to read her books everyday. 

The hubs wasn't around during Easter and I brought K out to chill with my gf. Knowing how fidgety kids are, I was well prepared and the above and below activities kept her entertained. 


We made the lil bunny out of toilet roll!  Cute Much? N the thing on her head was actually a bunny hat complete with bunny ears. 

More cut and paste activities to teach her more about shapes.  She has long been able to identify her shapes and this is a great extension exercise. 

Using velcro dots, Lil K was able to stick on Elmo's eyes, nose and mouth.  I painstakingly (ok it wasn't that bad) printed,  laminated and cut it out for her.  Sigh,  the amount of sleep i sacrifice is really quite substantial.  For some strange reason,  she derived joy from making a sad face. 

MANDALA
a right brain activity which trains children's photographic memory.  I basically showed her a coloured picture (I'm starting with 3 primary colours but I know of some doing 4 at her age) for 2 seconds and got her to shade off the segments with the correct colors.  So far she's been getting them correct and thoroughly enjoying the activity! 

SIDEWALK CHALK

Was trying to get a breather thus this activity was perfect!
I can't bring her far and our lift landing was the perfect place to have messy play.  Motor skills  and name recognition were the aims of this activity. 

Oh boy! Painting! It's really Lil K's favourite activity of the moment. Almost every other day she'll bug me to let her paint.  I'm not too keen on this activity as it's sometimes a pain to cleanup.  *yawn* All the chores, the picking up of toys, the folding of laundry, the cooking...oh the endless things are rendering me breathless, but yet again, it's such a wonderful feeling to see how the little one enjoys the activities which I set up for her. :)

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS