A Whole new challenge

Tuesday, July 12, 2011









I've been incubating. Literally. The feeling has been very surreal since the day of discovery. It's an awkward moment, trying to reconcile the fact that I entered the A&E ward purely due to a sprained ankle and a bad sprained back, to knowing that I'm an incubator with a little embryo growing inside me!



Been keeping mum about it due to the 3 mths taboo. According to Chinese myths, we should not reveal during the first tri to keep the little one safe. In anycase, it didn't really sink into both sweetie and me for the first few months. Partly due to the fact that I did not balloon (Thank God for that!). In fact, at Wk23 currently, I'm still wearing my pre-preg clothes! though they are slowly getting tight. We didn't quite indulge in the good news till quite recently. Even my dearest daddy didn't show an ounce of happiness at the A&E ward. His reaction: Gal, if u have any financial problems, u must tell daddy ok? With that, my tears simply streamed down incessantly.



Meanwhile, I've been inundated with websites and reading material. Trying to equip myself both scientifically and mythically! Just to share, here are some old wive's tales:



Carrying High, Carrying Low (I would say mine's low)

The way you are carrying during your pregnancy is one of the most oft cited ways of determining the sex of your baby. The general story goes that, if you're carrying low, you're having a boy. If you are carrying high, then you must be having a girl.



What Your Urine Says (ok i've not tried with Drano but the colour is mostly brownish and yellowish. The Chinese physician claims it's due to the lack of water)

This next test to determine a baby's sex may not be for everyone, although it is very simple. Just take a sample of your urine and mix it with Drano. Depending on the color change of your urine, you will have a boy or a girl. Unfortunately, there is no consensus on what color equals which sex. So, if you do decided to try this and your urine turns bluish yellow, brownish, brown, black or blue you will be having a boy. If your urine looks more greenish brown, green, blue or doesn't change at all, then you're having a girl. But be warned: if you decide to do this test, there could be some pretty harsh fumes produced - not to mention the possibility of an explosion!



Heartbeats (initially sweetie said our little one's heart rate seems below 140. It's really hard to decipher)

One belief that has been around for some time, and even had some acceptance in the medical community at one point, is that the fetal heartbeat differs for boys and girls. If you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140. A boy will have a heart rate below 140. However, that pesky science has reared its little head again to say that this is complete fiction. A baby's heart rate is not affected by its sex until it is born, when a girl's heart rate will increase considerably compared with boys during labor.



Craving Something…Sweet? (i was craving for ASSAM fish and anything sour initially. Hate chocolates and puked upon eating them. But lately am into desserts)

Many people believe that your cravings are caused by the sex of your baby. So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you. However, if you go by the scientists, then some of them will claim that you're not even having cravings because cravings just don't exist.



Weight Gain (ok this is a tough one. the hub has been eating chocolates every night, so naturally he's been putting on weight. His tummy to date is still bigger than mine but it's not coz I'm passing on the food to him. Strange)

Thankfully, this one doesn't refer to your weight gain. The belief is that, if your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn't put on a pound, then you're carrying a boy.



Is Her Face Round and Full? (quite the same actually. But the complexion's much much better)

Some say that the shape and fullness of your face during pregnancy can indicate your baby's sex. Every woman gains weight differently during pregnancy, and every woman experiences different skin changes. If people tell you that because your face is round and rosy you are having a girl, they might be right - but it's just as likely that they are wrong! There's also another saying that boys give mommies beauty whilst girls suck away the beauty. I find myself much prettier than before whilst my mom commented that I look UGLY! (yes, what sort of mother says that?) a friend of mine who is bearing a boy has huge nose and claims she looks like a hippo. Guess beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder?



At-Home Tests

Here's a test that you can do next time you change or get out of the bath. Look in the mirror at your breasts. If the right one is larger, you're having a boy! A larger left breast indicates a girl (if they're the same size, does that mean you're having one of each?). --Oh come on! To begin with, mine's bigger on the right already, so what does that mean?



ACNE (not a bit! Yeepee!)

Do you have acne? Some believe that getting acne during your pregnancy indicates you're carrying a girl. Maybe the acne is caused by twice the amount of female hormones?



Hairy belly

Some say this is due to the influx of testosterone. It's quite disturbing as I'm having a really hairy belly! The hubs is worried that I might turn into a man! It is also said that hair growth on the legs and pits will slow down if it's a princess.



BOOBIES

Don't we love it when they grow infinitely during pregnancy? Well according to my mom, she said that if it's a princess, boobies will grow all the way whilst if it's a boy, it will stop around the 5th mth.



Honestly, these myths don't work on me. Well all the better as it suits the mil's and hub's preference. :) The mil has been a gem and I m very blessed to have her around. Hub has been jet-setting across half the world thus leaving me pretty lonely during the first three torturous months. I was literally hugging the toilet bowl and feeling so knackered. The constant nauseousness really made me depressed as I'm lost as to what to eat. Fortunately the mil has been cooking stuff and bringing them over to my place so i'd have a warm meal at the end of the day (which incidentally is at 10pm on the average). Double boiled soups, birds nest soup just to name a few. It's a world of difference over at my own maternal side. Empress Dowager probably thinks she's the one who is pregnant and has been whiny when she was down with a cough. She even asked me for a bottle of Birds nest instead of buying me some! And if I don't call or visit for more than a week, she'll fly into a tirade. Talk about being emo! I think I should get the priority ain't it? Another clear distinction between the two mothers -- MIL went shopping for baby clothes the next day she knew of the gender...mom on the other hand replied "u are so ugly, i knew u'd be having a girl! good for u lor"...mind u, the words "good for u" wasn't delivered in the most sincere or pleasurable manner. She'll really be the death of me. Having to manage a little fetus growing within me and an overgrown baby isn't quite my idea of enjoyment. okok...GOOD THOUGHTS GOOD THOUGHTS!



Anyhow, with the 23rd wk in place, there's no more nausea and a lot less exhaustion. I can't say that much for the mood swings though, but i try to keep them at bay. The little flutters in my belly are no longer jabs and they are pretty pleasurable now. Each time the hub places his ear on my tum tum, I feel a sense of love and warmth. There was even this instance when our little one kicked him in the ear! haha...I can start talking to her and tapping to evoke a response. The only three things which are really bugging me now are: Amnesia, the bladder alarm and backaches. I guess they are mild compared to what other mommies are experiencing. It's probably also the big guy's way of giving me a rehearsal of what's to come.

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS