Sticker making workshop

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Last weekend we were invited by Smarter.me to attend an interesting workshop jointly organised by Faber Castell Singapore, Stickiemail and The lettering Workbook

Smarter.me is a platform set up by parents who understand the difficulty in finding the right course for your child. They believe that there should be a place where parents don't have to waste hours researching because they are assured of quality and fit. The platform categorises courses according to different interest groups. Not only are parents able to find a match easily, educators and enrichment centres are also able to reach out to their audience. If in doubt, you can always ask the instructor a question through the platform. There may sometimes be reviews from other parents who have attended for your reference. In addition, the instructors' and course details are clearly stated on the site, making it transparent for all.

Photo Credit: Stickiemail

Now, back to the workshop. I said it was interesting because it was a workshop where we MADE stickers. Yup, DIY. I don't know about you, but many a times, I find it tough to find good quality (non-China made) stickers in the design I want. For example, there was a time when Big K was obsessed over Frozen. Everything had to be in Elsa and Anna. I posted on Facebook asking where I could find stickers on those characters and most pointed me to Pasar Malam (night markets). Some kind souls even pointed me to a location where they saw such a market selling such stickers. Some as far as the West! I live on the other side of Singapore and there is NOoooooo way I was going to travel that far! But to appease Big K's insatiable appetite for Frozen stickers, I did drive around quite a bit in search for it! Finally, I found! Only to realise that most of the stickers aren't sticky anymore due to age. The glue had lost its adhesiveness and some stickers were even turning yellow! Can't blame the seller. They were going at 3 booklets for $3. 




So when I learnt that there is a sticker making machine, which is priced affordably, has hit the Singapore shores, I was beyond excited! This is such a great tool which is so useful even if you aren't a fan of scrapbooking. At the workshop, KY and her team from The Lettering Workbook showed us how easy it was to make our own stickers. You could doodle on a piece of cardstock, colour it and slot it into the machine then pull the tape out! Too lazy to even draw? Print from the Internet or better yet, recycle and cut out from old magazines! It's that simple! Even my 5yo could do it! Big K was engrossed in making them and was terribly upset at one point where she pulled a little too much tape and wasted a good portion of it. Frugal is her virtue. At the end of the workshop, I had to drag her away and she was once again, upset that we had to leave. Only when I told her that she could continue making stickers at home because we now own a Xyron Sticker machine, did a smile light up on her face! 


The free doodles given out by The Lettering Workbook was such a hit! It kindof made me want to doodle a bit at home as well! 

I printed these doodles from the Internet!


The machine is quite a saviour. I have been rather busy these days catching up on work and chores. I have completely no time to entertain or teach the kids. I was surprised that a few days after the event, Big K came forward to ask me if she could make some stickers with the little brother! Why, of coz! as long as you guys leave me alone! haha...I printed some doodles for them, got them to colour them and they made heaps of stickers and yes, I managed to get some work done! Yay! Win-win! If you would like to get your hands on one of these babies, do check them out online or the following retail outlets:

  • Times Bookstores
  • Kinokuniya Books
  • NBC Stationery & Gifts
  • Naiise
  • Made With Love
  • The Elly Store/Twelve By Elly; or 
  • via our online Storytime Kit collaboration partner, Tickle Your Senses. 
They do have several upcoming events, so do check them out as well!








After the event, we walked around the Faber Castell's Art Exhibition and feasted our eyes on how their marker caps could be made into various attractions in Singapore! I had always love their range of markers and colour pencils but never bought it for Big K as looking at the way the kids handled their stationery, I felt it would be a big waste! You see, their markers and colour pencils are often strewned all over the floor despite my incessant nagging and despite the fact that I did give them a designated place to store their tools. However, all words fall on deaf ears. 

With Small K, it is worse! He uses markers on Everything! Yes, Everything including his TOES and fingernails! (Cue: Jaw Drop). However, as Big K was colouring with Faber Castell's markers, she commented how smooth they were and that why I hadn't bought her such a set before! 'Nuff said. 



It was such a fruitful bonding session for my first born and I. We really enjoyed the session!
Thank you for the invite, guys!


Disclosure: We were invited by Smarter.me to attend the sticker making workshop. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and written according to my experience in using the products/services.  

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS